UK Customs Swine

N

nattysammy

In the post today I received a letter from U.K. customs saying that my package from de-sjamaan was liable to forfeiture on the grounds that the contents [ 15.25g psylocybin, 5x cigarettes, 4x Ephedra caps, 1x packet Salvia, 1x packet XS caps] were :-

* They are controlled drugs and were imported into the United Kingdom contrary to the prohibition in force; or

*They were mixed, packed of found with controlled drugs

The letter continues;

"If you claim that the items are not liable to forfeiture you must, within one month of the date shown above, give notice in writing of your claim to any office of Customs and Excise, stating your full name and address. If you make such a claim within that time, legal proceedings will be taken for condemnation of the items. If no such claim is made, the items will be deemed to have been duly condemned as forfeited.

You are warned that to be involved in any way in importing prohibited items is a customs offence and a conviction could lead to heavy financial penalties and/or imprisonment."

Getting this letter has really freaked me out and I just wanted to ask you people your advice on it.

As far as I know all the items contained in the parcel are legal to possess in this country so why has the parcel been intercepted? Does anyone know if im wrong in this, or if the items are legal how they have the legal right to seize my stuff like this?

I have no experience at all of dealing with customs but im afraid that if I stand up for myself and send a letter in reply to try and claim back my property I will be taken to court. This is something that I obviously dont want, terms such as "legal proceedings", "conviction" and "imprisonment" scare the hell out of me, which im sure is why they have included such terms in the letter. I think its likely that I will take the matter no further just accept that they are going to rip me off and be thankfull that they arent going to take the matter further themselves .

This letter has really ruined my day, I dont feel that I have done anything imoral or wrong in ordering items from your store, and it makes me feel very angry that my government is stealing my goods and sending me threatening letters with the implication that I am a criminal.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Sam.

Back